Covid 19: Prof Gyampo advocates for a two-week lockdown to contain spread

Professor Ransford Van Gyampo, a senior lecturer at the University of Ghana is suggesting government imposed a two week lock down to help contain the continuous upsurge in the Covid 19 cases.

Speaking in an interview with Benjamin Offei-Addo on the Asaase Breakfast Show, Ransford Gyampo said the country’s failure to tap from the experience of countries that held elections amidst covid is to blame for the upsurge.

The covid cases that we are having now is a self-inflicted issue, what were we expecting, in the lead up to the 2020 elections, some of us argued on the need for us to tread cautiously, countries had held elections amidst Covid

“Some of us asked that we should go and study how they were able to hold their elections in the midst of covid, I don’t think we did that properly, and so in the lead up to elections, parliamentary primaries were held, we all saw what happened, people who were eventually diagnosed to be having covid, you saw how they were talking to their delegates and how they were spitting on them,”

“We saw how people became physical, fighting among themselves and had thrown all caution and all covid protocols to the wind, and these were the environment that ushered into the 2020 election, and before the election we were tickling ourselves that we were not going to hold campaign rallies, and yet what did we see, the rooftop rallies were more dangerous than the campaign rallies”

He argued that the political leaders flouted the covid protocols before and during the elections contributing significantly to the upsurge in Covid 19 cases.

Gyampo further took a swipe at Information Minister designate Kojo Oppong Nkrumah for recently claiming that there is no empirical evidence that the election period contributed to the recent upsurge in cases.

“I heard a government appointee arguing that there is no empirical evidence to suggest that it was the election season that brought the spike , and I thought that was a bogus  and useless claim to make “ he said.

Case Update

At least 13 more persons have died of COVID-19 increasing Ghana’s death toll to 390, official figures on Thursday reveal.

According to the Ghana Health Service (GHS), 625 new cases have also been confirmed taking the active case count to 3,940.

This brings Ghana’s official caseload to 63, 883 out of which 59, 553 have recovered and been discharged.

Airport cases

A total of 1,096 cases have been detected at the Kotoka International Airport since it was reopened September last year to human traffic. The GHS reports that 601 international passengers have since recovered.

At the moment, the country is reporting 98 and 35 severe and critical cases respectively but none is on a ventilator, according to the GHS.

Regional case breakdown

Greater Accra Region – 37,117

Ashanti Region – 11,895

Western Region – 3,392

Eastern Region – 2,779

Central Region – 2,245

Volta Region – 896

Bono East Region – 806

Western North Region – 695

Northern Region – 672

Bono Region – 654

Upper East Region – 577

Ahafo Region – 539

Oti Region – 246

Upper West Region – 186

Savannah Region – 63

North East Region – 25

Gh Extractives

Ghextractives.com is an independent multimedia portal that seeks to provide credible information and news content to readers especially players in the extractive sector in Ghana, Africa and beyond. It also provides a unique platform for players in the energy sector to market their products and reach a wider audience

View All Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.