Date: Jan 16, 2021Location:
Spokane, WA, US (United States)
Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont (www.newmont.com) is one of the largest gold companies in the world. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company has approximately 24,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at Newmont’s core operations in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for host communities and shareholders.
About this role
What will you be responsible for?
Based at Newmont Midnite Mine, reporting to the H&S Director – Global Projects, the position will be a member of the Midnite Mine Leadership Team and will provide a high level of leadership support and will lead the implementation of group and project specific health and safety processes and initiatives across the site. The H&S Manager will work closely with the site team and contractors.
Your role will consist of
Here is a snapshot of what your day to day will look like!
- Together with the site leadership team, lead and support the implementation of Newmont Health and Safety initiatives across the site/s.
- We ensure Health and Safety Management and supporting plans are developed, communicated, implemented and reviewed.
- We advise, mentor and support the site leadership team on Health and Safety matters
- We engage with key partners to ensure compliance with safety and health requirements and Newmont’s goal of ensuring a fatality, injury, and illness free workplace.
- We facilitate and participate in risk assessments, support the development, implementation and ongoing review of the site H&S Risk Register and Control Plans.
- We support the contractor management through H&S prequalification, selection and management, including understanding the Newmont H&S requirements.
- We provide oversight of contractors, including monitoring and audit of health and safety programs.
- We work with the site team to continually improve safety performance through the identification of emerging safety risks and opportunities for sharing leading practices.
- We ensure health and safety data including worked hours, incidents and actions are assembled in the appropriate system (Enablon)
- We complete health and safety data analysis and working with the project key partners in the use of data to make effective decisions
- We support the development and implementation of crisis and emergency management planning, coordination, and incident response execution.
- We analyze data from near miss, property damage, and personal injury or health incident investigations to identify causes and remedial actions.
- We provide interpretation and mentorship on the application of Health and Safety Legislation which is applicable to the site.
- We build network and partnerships through external associations with industry, government bodies/regulators
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Your training, skills & experience checklist
Here is what we would need to see from you!
- Minimum of 8 years in a senior HSS role/leadership role
- Minimum of 8 years in a mining or heavy industrial environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement and audit Health & Safety systems and programs for Construction / Projects
- Experienced Risk Workshop Facilitator and Risk Manager.
- Sophisticated communication and influencing skills
- Experience in mentor and influencing leadership teams, contractors and key partners
- Contractor Management Experience
- Qualified and experienced in leading and participating in Investigations;
- Demonstrated ability to handle change
- Degree in Occupational Safety preferred. Experience considered in lieu of degree.
- AIHA certification desired
- Solid understanding of Emergency Response
Working conditions and location
- This role will provide support to the Global Project & Legacy (S&ER) operations.
- Ensure that the Midnite Mine Health and Safety Plan and processes meets the requirements of local, state, and federal occupational safety regulations and standards.
- Provide the Midnite Mine Construction Manager and Site Operations Supervisor with experienced technical advice on health and safety matters related to the operation of the water treatment plant, and clean-up of the Midnite Mine and Dawn Mill.
- This role will be responsible for the development, implementation, and coordination of industrial health and hygiene, radiation safety, and fatigue risk management programs.
- This role will support the development and coordination of the project emergency response plan coordinated with Spokane Tribe of Indians Emergency Medical Services and Fire and participate in the site and corporate Rapid Response system.
- Participate in the development of processes and systems related to mine site design and planning, infrastructure during construction and operation, and heavy equipment operations.
- Drilling and blasting safety to include ground monitoring and ground support / rock fall protection systems.
- Develop safety and health training programs, review and update safety manuals, and lead safety meetings to ensure compliance with OSHA Standards, Newmont policies, and safety industry standard methodologies.
To learn more about Newmont visit us at: