Date: Jan 22, 2021Location:
Brong-Ahafo Region, BA, GH (Ghana)
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role:
Responsible for planning, directing and monitoring of consultants, contractors, and business teams in the safe execution of underground mine services and infrastructure works and ensures these are in line with the site business plan.
• Design adequate underground mine services corridor (power, water, air, dewatering, communications) in accordance to the SLS life of mine plan.
• Liaise with mine contractors to ensure implementation of the mine services corridor.
• Track planned versus actual and ensure all mine services are updated in the Deswik mine planning software.
• Monitor the quality control of all mine contractor installations of services.
• Inform production engineers on project works for weekly and 12- week min plans.
• Direct consultants, contractors and suppliers to achieve safe project deliverables.
• Process the prime mining contractor claims based on end of month reconciliation.
• Support troubleshooting of plan equipment and services.
• Interface with site project department for construction related activities at underground.
Budgeting and Financial Planning and Reporting
• Contribute towards the preparation of statutory reports and budget forecast.
• Support the development of financial expenditure documents for continued mine advancement.
• Provide data for the development of comprehensive reports for senior management, joint venture partners and regulatory agencies
Safety and Environment
• Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
• Actively participate in all Newmont Ghana safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
• Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
• Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
• Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
• Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
• Bachelors’ degree in Mechanical/Civil/Mining Engineering
• Reasonable understanding of Underground Mining Systems and Operations.
• Preferred a minimum of 4 years’ experience in underground mining operational time such as blasting, drilling, haulage and service crew works.
• Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
• Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
• Risk management ability.
• Results Driven.
• Attention to Detail.
• Work Under Pressure.
• Combination of office and UG mining conditions.
• Moist wet surfaces with section of continuous water fall.
• Potential for extreme dust particles and high heat/humidity.
• Noise exposure within the requirements for earplugs or/and ear muffs.
• Dark environment which requires personal attachment of lit head gear.
• Potential for seismic activity underground.
• Underground conditions include steep decline with section of uneven terrain.
• Unventilated areas with asphyxiating gaseous environments.
• Working with corrosive chemicals.