Brong-Ahafo Region, BA, GH (Ghana)
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
- Establish the Underground Mine Maintenance Department, assume overall responsibility for budgeting and manage the maintenance of the underground fixed plant.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Ensure department compliance with the requirements of Government of Ghana Agencies, lending institutions, shareholders’ interests, environmental, health & safety legislation and company regulations.
- Provide strategic direction and leadership to the Mine Maintenance department.
- Be responsible for Safety, Environmental and Social Responsibility policies.
- Create a suitable work environment to motivate staff, employees and business partners to achieve optimum effectiveness, productivity and operating costs.
- Ensure Health and Safety standards are maintained by the team, hold self and team accountable for demonstrating our values.
- Create and implement policies and procedures, promoting projects and programs within the mine that encourage continuous improvement in the areas of safety, environment, production and efficiency.
- Prepare, negotiate and implement various maintenance and repair contracts.
- Manage the implementation and maintenance of all mine electrical systems including control systems and information technology systems.
- Assist in the design and management of the maintenance of all Subika underground fixed plant including but not limited to: metal removal plant, primary vent fans, refrigeration Plant, water treatment plant, sewage treatment plant, primary underground water pumping stations and surface Water management systems.
- Be responsible for mine maintenance budgeting, performing capital evaluation of projects and producing management reports.
- Be responsible for Health, Safety and Environment
- Employee must be able to perform and work under the following conditions:
- Operate small hand-held tools, such as saws, hammers weighing up to 5 lbs. Operate underground and surface vehicles on haulage roads including a pre-operational inspection, mounting and dismounting vehicle, pushing and pulling knobs and levers, and turning steering wheels.
- Operate and hold a radio with sufficient voice and hearing to carry on a conversation for the purpose of following work assignments and providing feedback.
- Read, comprehend, interpret and learn literature, Material Safety Data Sheets MSDS, labels on products, warning signs, instructional manuals and numbers on monitors and gauges, to prevent loss of personnel, property and process.
- Wear personal protective equipment including hard hat, steel toe shoes, safety glasses, respirators, wet suits, earplugs, gloves, head lamp or any other equipment to perform duties safely.
- Walk and stand on uneven and wet surfaces.
- Employee must be able to perform and work under the following conditions:
YOUR TRAINING, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE CHECKLIST:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Degree or Diploma in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering.
- Advanced knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Advanced knowledge of the work management process.
- Advanced knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Advanced knowledge of maintenance of plant and equipment.
- Strong working knowledge of SAP.
- Strong working knowledge of budgeting and cost controls in a maintenance environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of statutory regulations relevant to health and safety in the mining industry.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience as a Maintenance Superintendent or equivalent management position.
- Holder of a Diploma must have a minimum of 13 years’ experience as a Maintenance Superintendent or equivalent management position.
- Experience with facility designs, equipment, development and management of business partners and sub-contractors.
- Knowledge of computer management tools such as Pitram, VIMS, and SAP is recommended.
- Experience in the management and administration of budgets in a multinational company.
- Strong computer skills using office software such as Excel, Word and Power Point.
- Strong presentation, facilitation, and consultation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to identify and analyze organizational needs.
- Demonstrate strong supervisory, verbal and written communication skills.
- Safety focused.
- Results driven.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Combination of office and underground mining conditions.
- Moist wet surfaces with section of continuous waterfall.
- Potential for extreme dust particles and high heat/humidity.
- Noise exposure within the requirements for earplugs or/and earmuffs.
- Dark environment which requires personal attachment of lit head gear.
- Underground conditions include steep decline with section of uneven terrain.
- Unventilated areas with asphyxiating gaseous environments.
- Working with corrosive chemicals.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to firstname.lastname@example.org.