Birim North District, ER, GH (Ghana)
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About this role
To provide semi-skilled assistance including daily provision of lubes, fuel, grease, and inspection of heavy mining and auxiliary equipment to maintenance high standard equipment health to effective maintenance engineering of mining/auxiliary equipment.
In this role you will:
- Perform daily servicing of heavy mining and auxiliary equipment.
- Assist and performs oil checks and oil changes on equipment.
- Responsible for changing transmission oil and other fluids to maintaining equipment or vehicle standards conditions.
- Maintain daily/shift service, fuel and lubes records, and provides information and recommendations about the equipment to dispatchers and supervisors.
- Perform routine checks, daily inspections, pressure/temperature checks and fluid levels maintenance service of all equipment including.
- Grease all available required greasing points, bearings and joints examines components joints.
- Provide daily distribution fuel to mining equipment as schedule.
- Collaborate and follow daily schedule as directed by the maintenance dispatchers or shift supervisors.
- Inspect and report all defects on the service trucks for repairs and correction on daily basis.
- Ensure service or lube trucks and its nozzles / wigins are always clean and in good condition.
Health and Safety Management
- Comply with all Newmont and regulatory agency Health, Safety, Loss Prevention and Environmental procedures, requirements and standards.
- Operate in a safe manner and take steps to prevent minimal wear and tear and/or damage to equipment.
- Work without risk or harm to others.
- Maintain a strong focus of safety throughout all activities.
- Attend daily morning safety meetings.
- Observe and adherence to all fatality risk management (FRM) critical controls.
- Observe all exclusion zones in the pits as required by geotechnical team.
Your training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Senior High School Certificate or Mechanical Technician.
- General understanding of maintenance engineering.
- Must possess a valid Ghanaian Driver’s License “E “and a License “C” will be an added advantage.
- Ability to operate an Articulated Dump Truck (ADT).
- Minimum of 1 year mechanical and / or electrical maintenance experience, preferably in a mining or industrial environment.
- Basic communication (English written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to read and understand documentation.
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships with peers and supervisor.
- Manual dexterity.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
- Technically inclined.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Position is located in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to work in confined spaces and will be exposed to extreme vibration.
- Work Environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee is frequently exposed to noise more than 85 decibels, and to fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc. The incumbent will regularly lift heavy materials and / or operate heavy machinery.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to firstname.lastname@example.org.