Date: Mar 4, 2021Location:
Brong-Ahafo Region, BA, GH (Ghana)
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.Purpose
To perform technical activities to Newmont in charging blast holes in a safe and controlled manner.Essential Duties
- Assemble primer charges using selected detonators, fuses, detonating cords and other materials.
- Manually load explosives in blast holes and / or supervise and direct bulk explosive trucks onto the blasting pattern to charge holes.
- Conduct field-tests in determining the depth of the blast hole and input data into dip-plus to determine the quantity and type of the bulk explosive required.
- Communicate with, receive instruction from the Blasting Supervisor, and follow the specified instruction and charging plan, prior to the execution of activities.
- Support Shot Firers in the connection of tie-ups.
- Liaise with the Stemming Loader Operators to commence stemming activities.
- Conduct final blasting area safety inspection and signal personnel to clear the blasting zone, prior to firing the blast pattern.
The above duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations)
- Senior High School Certificate.
- Blasting Certificate.
- Sound knowledge of various explosive types.
- Sound knowledge in blasting accessories.
- General knowledge in mid-to-heavy equipment operation.
- Minimum of 1 – 2 years’ blasting experience in a large open pit mining environment.
Experience in electronic and non-electronic detonation.Behavioural Attributes
- Continuous Learning.
- Detail Oriented.
- Hand-Eye Coordination.
Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit in the cabin of heavy mining equipment tracking over uneven surfaces for extended periods, climb stairs, walk and stand.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the field environment is minimal. Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, high temperature, moving machinery, hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces, extreme weather conditions.
- Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, earplugs and dust mask according to working conditions.
Apply at Newmont career website