Accra, GA, GH (Ghana)
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
- Newmont’s Graduate Development Program (GDP) is the flagship program for recent university graduates. Each year, Newmont selects the most promising graduates to join our Ahafo and Akyem Mine sites and learn our business from the ground up through a structured two-year rotational program.
- The GDP participants help us to achieve our purpose – to create value and improve lives through sustainable and responsible mining. This purpose is guided by five core values: Safety, Integrity, Sustainability, Inclusion and Responsibility.
In This Role You Will:
- Undergo job rotations between teams within your discipline, giving you exposure to a variety of experiences over the two-year program.
- Participate in meaningful work assignments and cross functional projects with clear goals and objectives.
- Have structured job shadows, allowing you to gain insight into areas outside of your discipline.
- Engage in workplace coaching and mentoring to ensure your success.
- Receive personal and leadership development opportunities for continuous learning.
- Participate in structured activities with your peers to build your professional network.
- Be exposed to an inclusive environment that truly values differences.
- Have access to full-time employment with comprehensive benefits and wellness packages.
Technical Skills, Education/Training and Experience:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Tertiary qualifications in Mining Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering and Geology with cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) not less than a Second Class Upper.
- Must have completed National Service in 2020 or is currently undergoing National Service.
- National Service experience with a mining company will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of gold mining or broader hard rock mining.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Access).
- Strong strategic mindset and leadership potential.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Collaboration, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Assertive, influential and persuasive.
- Presentation skills.
- Act professional and show respect.
- Pro-active and results and quality driven.
- Customer focused.
- High level of integrity and trustworthiness.
- Goal oriented and reliable.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Reliable, flexible and independent.
- Safety conscious.
- Strong attention to detail and deliver high levels of accuracy.
- Position is located in Akyem and Ahafo South
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to firstname.lastname@example.org