Perth, WA, AU (Australia)
Newmont Australian operations are located in Western Australia and the Northern Territory with roles in operations, projects and exploration. Regional Support is provided from our offices based in Subiaco – close to public transport and with onsite parking facilities. The world’s leading gold company, we pride ourselves on our dedication to safety, environmental management, inclusion and diversity, and adding value and opportunity to our host communities. With operations on four continents, we are honoured to be named the mining industry leader by the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index for the past five years and the only one listed in the S&P 500 index.
The Senior Mining Engineer has a regional based scope reporting through the centralized operating model that supports the Long Term Planning functional deliverables. The position reports to the Principal Mine Design and Planning Engineer and is responsible for improving operational and project outcomes by enhancing mine productivity and costing technical expertise and applying industry leading tools and approaches. The incumbent will seek out and identify value add opportunities in the mine planning process at regional and site levels. The breadth of the role incorporates the delivery of long term mine planning work packages for Newmont’s underground and / or open pit operations. This includes leading the mining component of regionally and cross-regionally based studies, projects, Full Potential and Strategic Resource Development (SRD) activities.
In This Role you Will:
- Demonstrate through visible behaviours a personal commitment in regard to safety, the environment and social responsibility;
- Ensure that all mine planning activities are conducted according to the Newmont Health & Safety Policies and Standards and incorporate where possible future requirements for Carbon reduction commitments;
- Prepare Safety and Values Shares;
- Contribute to safety interactions and workplace inspections;
- Review the mine planning aspects of the sites’ Business Planning inputs, processes and outcomes;
- Run or organise software training sessions for site and regional engineers;
- Contribute to the development and enhancement of mine planning software;
- Liaise with sites and software vendors to organise demonstrations;
- Provide verification of budgets and cost for regional business planning;
- Support the regional implementation of Xeras cost modelling, optimisation and other corporate initiatives;
- Lead the mining study component for project work as required;
- Act as Competent Person for Reserves and Resources;
- Assist sites with Business Plan and Resources & Reserves work as required;
- Provide peer review for site, regional or corporate projects;
- Contribute to the regional Value Assurance process;
- Contribute to Opportunities Framing Workshops, Integrated Planning Sessions and Risk Assessments;
- Compose and compile sections of mining reports for study documentation and annual reserves and Resources reporting (CP reports);
- Provide a development and mentoring role to mining engineers based at operations;
- Visit sites and facilitate communication between sites engineers;
- Lead, prepare for and attend Collegiates;
- Ensure that S&ER issues are adequately captured in project or mine planning activities;
- Provide information required for S&ER reporting;
- Provide mine planning expertise to the regional closure team.
- A B.Sc. Mining Engineering or equivalent is essential
- Experience in strategic and long term mine planning, production support, mine operations and design in large and diversified mine sites, with preference for experience in conventional hard rock Gold / Copper-Gold operations either open pit or underground or (ideally) a combination of both
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to influence and a high level of cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills (oral, written, listening)
- Self-starter and strong facilitation and presentation skills
- Ability to build and maintain a strong communications network with planning peers, Technical Services Managers, Project/Study Directors, Mine Managers, and JV partner representatives
- Experience in operations with complex multi mine, multi process situations preferable and a knowledge of mine methods, mine design, production scheduling (strategic and tactical), equipment selection, reserve estimation and economic evaluations
- High level of competence in the use of mine planning software, including optimization techniques and experience with mine design and scheduling packages from, Geovia Whittle, MineMax, MineSight, Deswik or Maptek
- Knowledge of unit costing and financial modelling methods for resource and reserve analysis and the use and manipulation of project financial models. Experience with Xeras cost estimating tool a plus
- Knowledge of exploration methods, mineral inventory estimates and resource estimation
- Strong problem solving and 3D visualization skills
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that allows every person to thrive, participate, grow, and proudly play an active role in achieving our strategy.
Newmont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, placing and promoting the best individual for each position without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnicity, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age, sexual orientation, etc.
We invite women and applicants with diverse backgrounds to apply, particularly persons of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island descent. Newmont acknowledges Aboriginal people as the first Australians and respects their unique relationship with the land and sea, their culture, spiritual tradition and stories.
More About Newmont
- Website: http://www.newmont.com
- Lifecycle of a Mine: https://www.newmont.com/lifecycle-of-a-mine/
- Blog: https://www.newmont.com/blog-stories/
- Annual sustainability report: https://www.newmont.com/sustainability/sustainability-reporting/