Date: Dec 5, 2020Location:
Denver, CO, US (United States)
Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont (www.newmont.com) is one of the largest gold companies in the world. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company has approximately 24,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at Newmont’s core operations in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for host communities and shareholders.About this role
What will you be responsible for?
The Accountant II role is responsible for performing a variety of accounting activities and processes in support of the Corporate Accounting function’s goals and objectives with a primary emphasis on the Corporate month-end close processes.Your role will consist of
Here is a snapshot of what your day to day will look like:
- Perform daily and period-end accounting activities, report generation, and reconciliations for the corporate accounting function in a timely and accurate manner.
- Prepare journal entries related to monthly accounting activities, including but not limited to accruals, prepaid expenses, allocations, cost center reclassifications, payroll adjustments, fixed assets, reclamation, intercompany, and other assigned items.
- Prepare journal entries as required for ad-hoc transactions and provide documentation to support entries.
- Prepare periodic pushdown entries provided by the Consolidations team.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly balance sheet reconciliations and account analysis.
- Provide support to the various Corporate functions who require costs be charged to the Company’s various subsidiaries.
- Collaborate and work closely with regional and site accounting functions to research and identify intercompany out-of-balances and to accurate them in a timely manner.
- Assist in the review of the Company’s corporate balance sheet, income statement, statement of cash flows and projects utilizing standardized reporting templates and other reporting tools.
- Assist in preparing quarterly fluctuation analysis utilizing standardize templates and tools for certain balance sheet and income statement accounts.
- Assist with assembling and analyzing data for incorporation into internal reports and presentations to management as required.
- Perform key controls and maintain appropriate documentation and support to ensure compliance with internal and external Sarbanes-Oxley (SOx) certification requirements.
- Establish positive relationships with partners within Accounting and cross-functionally, throughout the organization, in order to achieve functional goals.
- Participate in the implementation of new system applications, upgrades, interfaces and other improvements as needed.
- Assemble information as required in conjunction with internal and external audits.
- Assist Supervisor, Senior Manager and Director of Corporate Accounting with special projects and requests and assist with problem-solving and continuous improvement opportunities.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.Your training, skills, and experience checklist
Here is what we would need to see from you!
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting with a minimum of 1-2 years of relevant accounting and financial reporting experience.
- CPA is desirable.
- Problem-solving skills, judgement, initiative, communication and digital literacy required.
- Knowledge of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (GAAP), as well as costing and budgeting concepts and techniques are required.
- SAP and BPC system (or similar) knowledge and experience is helpful.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are crucial.
- Have ability to effectively utilize Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook applications.
- Possess ability to adapt to a changing environment, balance multiple tasks concurrently, and work efficiently within time requirements established by department management.
- Capable of discretely handling confidential information.
- Detail oriented with excellent analytical, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work across various areas of the business, including effective interpersonal skills.
Working Conditions and location
Where you will be located!
- The position is located at the corporate office
- The position will be required to work hours beyond the normal work schedule during periods of peak project related activities.
To learn more about Newmont visit us at:
- Newmont website: http://www.newmont.com/home/default.aspx
- Lifecycle of a Mine microsite (educational site that explains what happens during each phase of a mine’s life): http://lifecycle.newmont.com/
- Newmont’s blog site (weekly stories highlighting work being done in Newmont’s regions and our employees): http://ourvoice.newmont.com/
- Newmont’s annual sustainability report: http://sustainabilityreport.newmont.com/