Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- To proactively influence and collaborate with personnel throughout the organisation to ensure regional leadership has the necessary information of sufficient quality to make informed investment decisions, while managing the development and improvement of key project analysis and value assessment tools and practices.
In This Role You Will:
Manage Regional Investment Offices
- Facilitate Regional Investment meetings, deliver related content and provide advice to decision makers.
- Monitor, manage and report all relevant investment office indicators to meet business requirements.
- Act as Regional Value Assurance Manager in;
- Assigning leads for regionally approved authorization for expenditure (AFE’s) in collaboration with Regional VPP, and Technical Services leads.
- Setting delivery expectations.
- Completing Regional value assurance (VA) reviews when appropriate.
- Supporting Global value assurance (VA) review when required.
- Review Integrated Environmental Management Systems (IEM’s) of regionally approved projects.
- Manage communication regarding investment processes between Accounting, Projects, Business Planning, and Regional Leadership.
- Work with accounting to ensure adherence of Investment Review Paper (IRP’s) to accounting policies.
- Manage Prospector (IS portal) for the region, liaise with the site finance teams to upload and manage pipeline.
- Participate in monthly calls with the Denver team.
- Support large projects Investment Review Paper (IRP) refinements.
Develop and Implement Regional Investment System Processes
- Develop and drive the implementation of the Regional Investment standard, guidelines etc. that are aligned with Global Investment System processes.
- Implement control systems that identify and anticipate problems, and provide early warning to management so major problems are avoided.
- Identify, socialize and implement opportunities to streamline or enhance the regional investment process.
- Provide regional presence to educate and communicate business value of Newmont’s investment systems. This includes delivering Investment System training to the region.
- Provide advice to Project Managers.
- Investment Analysis Process; assist major project teams with the construction of investment evaluation models while maintaining an objective point of view and leveraging knowledge of the business to analyze and test input assumptions.
- Investment Evaluation Tool Management; responsible for the development, continuous improvement, implementation and training associated with the Investment Evaluation Models (IEM) as well as regional project analysis tools and processes in alignment with the Global Investment System standards and in association with the global Value Assurance team.
- End of Execution and Post Investment Reviews; support teams conduct End of Execution and Post Investment Reviews, including maintenance of tools, engagement with the Corporate Value Assurance team during the review process and collation of historical approval information.
- Training and Fit-for-Purpose Financial Review Implementation; ensures project teams understand the requirements for financial modelling for each stage of the Investment System through training and maintenance of user-friendly modelling tools.
- Investment Model QA/QC; ensure adequate internal controls are in place for project analysis including documentation of process, evidence of reviews and ability to re-perform the review process.
Capital Budgeting and Forecasting
- Provide support to the business planning and forecasting activities, particularly in the area of capital and project expenditure.
- Support the integration of major projects into business planning.
- Ensure Regional Investment Council is informed of changes to the capital pipeline.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Finance, Engineering or related field.
- Understanding of project management theory from concept to execution, and commissioning to mature operation.
- Understanding of the mining and processing value chains and projects.
- Minimum of 10 years of working experience, with exposure to financial modelling and project processes preferred.
- Exposure to financial planning and capital budgeting preferred.
- Exposure to working across organizational boundaries (for some regions prior exposure to a multi-cultural environment is preferred).
- Experience with Investment System processes preferred.
- Strong analytical and financial modeling skills, including ability to review complex financial models.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organization and planning skills, ability to work with virtual supervision.
- Build constructive relationships with technical, operational, commercial and management staff at all levels, including executive leadership through effective communication and interactions.
- Work efficiently and effectively in a virtual team environment with a global focus.
- Proactive work ethic with strong analytical skills and a high level of accuracy.
- Strong business acumen.
- Language skills are desirable in some regions.
- Takes initiatives.
- Safety Conscious.
- The position is located in the Regional Corporate Office.
- Position requires travel within the region.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to email@example.com.
Newmont strongly encourages all applicants to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as the vaccine is available to you as Newmont considers vaccination to be a vital tool in the fight against the pandemic. Proof of vaccination is required for entry to certain Newmont locations and for business travel, unless an exemption is required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.