Marwako food poisoning: FDA shuts down Abelemkpe branch

The Foods and Drugs Authority(FDA) has suspended all activities at the Abelemkpe branch of Marwako Restaurant following the incident of food poisoning at its East Legon Branch.

The FDA) had earlier shut down the East Legon branch of Marwako Restaurant in response to allegations of food poisoning.

A notice issued by the FDA says it will revisit all branches of Marwako Restaurant to establish the of alleged food poisoning to ensure corrective measures are taken to address the problem.

Responsibility

Meanwhile  the management of Marwako have since taken taken up the medical bills of 53 customers allegedly affected by the said food poisoning.

Below is the public notice

Reason for East Legon Shut down

The FDA said the action was taken after a series of complaints on social media about suspected food poisoning came to its attention.

“We have closed down the restaurant and, together with other relevant agencies, started investigations.

“We wish to assure the public that the issue [will] be thoroughly investigated and appropriate actions are taken,” the Authority tweeted on Thursday (12 May 2022).

Joseph Yaw Bernie, head of legal and corporate affairs at the FDA, spoke to Asaase News’s Caleb Ahinakwah and said that a thorough investigation will be carried out.

Complaints

Marwako, a fast-food eatery in Accra, has been trending on Twitter after many people complained of food poisoning after eating there.

Some of the alleged victims tweeted that they have been hospitalised after eating food from the East Legon branch of Marwako.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.